Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Having a Bad Day?



So I realized I haven't written a post for almost an entire month.  That is a really long time for me to go without sharing the things that are insightful to me.  I guess I have just been trying to wrap my brain around the fact that within 2 weeks we went from 4 feet of snow on the ground to swimming pools in our basements.  What a winter!

As I said before, I am super grateful that my home was spared from the worst of the flooding.  I have friends that didn't fair too well, and all I have been able to do is pray that they will be ok.  I help all I can, but like I've said before, I just feel that my best isn't good enough.

Today I was quite rudely reminded that people really do have bad days, and sometimes don't really know how to respond to others who are only trying to help cheer them up.  Since I have turned yet another year older, I have been no stranger to the "bad day".  You know the type of day I'm talking about.  The day when you took a test that you failed, you lost your keys, the kids threw-up all night and then for fun crawled in bed with you and thus made you sick, the dog chewed a hole in the couch, you got a ticket, your best friend no longer likes you…….well, I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea.  The thing is not how bad your day is, but how are you going to change the way your day is going?

Some people think things need to be absolutely wonderful all day long to be classified as a great day.  The truth is, you need to look for the "great moments" in your day.  Sure, you lost your keys today, but was the sun shining so you didn't freeze when you had to walk?  Sure you failed that test, but did you study hard and do the very best you could?  So what if the dinner burned, at least you got to eat your favorite cold cereal for dinner.  Who cares if your son was sassy to you this morning, did he give you a giant hug and say "I love you mom!"?

I love the following quote from President Gordon B. Hinckley:
Words of a Prophet:
So, you had a bad day.  I challenge you to look back on the day for what it was.  Can you see the Lord's hand in what went right today?  Even on bad days, you can always find a glimmer of good.  Search for the good and learn from the "bad".

I want to share what my wise 4th-great aunt said over 100 years ago:

“The sweets of life would all be wasted
On those who never grief had tasted.”

“After clouds have o’er cast the horizon and all nature has been clothed in a shadowy mantle-how much more do we appreciate the bright sunlight.  After the chilling frosts of Winter, how gloriously bright is the Springtime.  The bitter makes the sweet still the sweeter, clouds make us love the brightest sunlight, Winter causes us to appreciate Spring.  Adversity makes us humble and inspires gratitude for prosperity.”
-Ellis Reynolds Shipp M.D.
-2 Jan 1874 (Diary While Others Slept)

No comments:

Post a Comment