Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Snow Day?

Where you live, do you get snow?  If so, how much?  Do the schools call a "snow day" for the safety of the children and faculty?  If this is you, then congratulations!  You are better off than where I live.

You see, I woke up this morning to about 4 inches of the fluffy white stuff that was a bugger to shovel.  That was AFTER my hubby blew away the first 6 inches only 45 minutes before I started my shoveling debut.  Yeah, I am reminded of the pictures on the internet of the comparison of South verses Midwest.  I am here to tell you that when you see a car piled high with about a foot of snow on top, the pictures have NOT been doctored in any way.  We people out here in the Midwest really are like, "Ok.  Grab the shovels.  Dig it out.  Get to school/work!"

I had to tease my brother, who currently lives in Texas where they maybe get a slight frost on their car windows, with a picture of my van that is more than words can say.  Well, take a look for yourself:

My brother LOVES to snowmobile!  He would be on the slopes right now if he were here in Utah, but he is in mild weather Texas where they don't even know what a snow-scraper is.  In fact, he received a snow-scraper in his stocking for Christmas as a joke, kinda, and he said that he has actually used a snow-scraper on the cars at church cuz all the women were breaking their credit cards in an effort to get the job done.  He said the stores don't carry them at all!  Wow!  I can't walk into the grocery store without tripping over a display for the things in all different varieties!

Back to the "snow day" thing though.  I was lucky enough to have a neighbor drive my little guy to school for me, because I was still not tunneled out of my driveway.  In the afternoon I wasn't so fortunate.  I had just finished digging out my driveway for the third time and was on my way to pick up my little guy from school.  On the way there I saw something that I didn't think I would EVER see in my lifetime.  It is something that I thought was only made up in Photoshop to get laughs and giggles on the internet.  NOPE!  This was real life!  I was witness to a snowplow that had gotten stuck in the snow and had to be dug out using snow shovels.  Now I ask you, if the snow is that bad, why didn't the schools call a snow day?!?  Not only did the snowplow get stuck, but there were several cars that had gotten stuck in the process of picking up their children from school

I actually did ask what constitutes as a "snow day" and how they determine when to cancel school.  This was the description that was given to me, well, at least this is what I deciphered from the description I was given.  So, in my opinion, the temperature has to be -40 degrees F, the snowdrifts need to be AT LEAST 6 feet high, AND the wind has to be blowing so hard that you have trouble staying on your feet.  I think a "snow day" needs to be decided based on the safety concerns for the students and faculty.  If everyone is sliding off the roads, especially the snowplows, and can't make it safely to the school, I think it's time to call it a day!  Stay home with your children and build the most awesome snow hills ever!


I decided that if I wake up tomorrow morning and I can't see my van, I'm calling a Mamma Snow Day and staying home with my little tikes to play in the snow.  We will get soaked sliding down the hill that my hubby is currently building with the children and making snow angels.  (My hubby even literally "blew-up" a snow tube for them to ride down the hill on.  Good thing we had two, now we're down to one, but still just as fun!)  After we are exhausted from our fun in the snow we will warm up with cups of hot cocoa and marshmallows, snuggle on the couch and read stories the rest of the day.  I don't know about you, but that sounds way more safe and fun then getting stuck in the snow behind a snowplow that has to be dug out with a shovel!

So to all you Southerners, I hope you enjoy your mild weather, and to all you Canadians and Midwesterner's, good luck digging out and heading to work.  I hope you get the chance to declare a snow day of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment