Friday, November 4, 2016

Service with a Smile...



The other day I was asked to help arrange a group of people to help a neighbor move and I was given very little notice.  I grumbled and groaned, all the while knowing that I would indeed take care of the situation and have the needed bodies there in time to help this neighbor.  When I talked to my sweet hubby about this situation, he kindly admonished me to "not be negative about the situation and just kindly ask for help."  I was kind and polite when asking others for help and the people that I did call were very ready to help just because help was asked for.

This got me thinking....why was I sooo negative when I knew that I would help and serve willingly?  Was my heart just not in it?  or did I just need a reason to grumble for a minute before I would pitch in and help?

Image result for could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other eyes
Click here to view video
I then went to a leadership meeting later that night and watched the following video:
(Disclaimer:  I am NOT associated with the medical institute listed at the end of the video, however, I DO fully agree with the message that is contained in it.  Also, grab a box of Kleenex before you press play - you're gonna need it!) 

As you can see, this video really gets your mind thinking about what others are experiencing in their little world.  They can be truly devastated inside, but on the outside they put on a brave front and smile so the world doesn't know the truth.  Are you someone who is willing to see behind the brave smile of others and try to make someone's day a bit better?  or are you the type to think "well, they said everything is fine so I'll just go on my merry way".

News Flash:  when someone says they are "fine" chances are they don't really mean it.  More times than not they need a friend to show a little kindness in some small way.

When my oldest was just a baby, I became really sick and ended up in the hospital insta care center on a Sunday morning.  I was hurting and scared.  I didn't know what to do cuz I had never been there before.  I didn't know what to expect.  Add to that the emotions and hormones of a new baby (let alone a first baby) and you get me - which just happened to be a blubbering mess.  While I was there, I was gifted with the tiniest of kindnesses that two young men in white shirts and ties offered me.  They were kind and smiled.  I don't remember if they even spoke to me, but in that minute, through their kindness and smiles, I knew that Heavenly Father remembered who I was and that I needed His love at that time.  I will always be grateful to these young men who showed me kindness in the middle of a hospital waiting room.

This experience reminded me of the small acts of kindness that I need to share with others on a daily basis.  These acts of kindness aren't always big.  They can be as small as a smile to a stranger.  Or, as I was reminded just today, words of encouragement to a person who is really wanting to make a change for the better in his life.  It can also be the act of giving someone a second or third chance to make things right.  

If you are wondering how you can have the mindset on giving service to others more willingly, remember this statement:
"Learn to think like an angel and Heavenly Father will use you over and over"
For me it is going to be to give service to others without the groaning and grumbles.  I know that I want to help others, I just need to remember that the chance to serve doesn't always come when it is convenient to my time schedule.  Opportunities to serve come at any time of day, at any place you may happen to be in.  

I will do my very best to put myself in the shoes of others and serve them with a happy heart (sans grumbles).....will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment