Friday, August 26, 2016

Fake It Til You Make It




So, I love this picture:☮ American Hippie ☮ Think Brave:

Sometimes we don't feel exactly brave and up to the task of dealing with the things that life throws our way.  I have learned the hard lesson of "FAKE IT TIL YOU MAKE IT" A LOT this past couple of weeks.  Let me tell you, it has been an up and down roller coaster that I wish I could jump off of, but in the end the ride really was worth the trip.  I even learned things along the way.

I was recently placed in a situation that I didn't want to be in.  I'd been having a really crummy day and I was at my mamma limit with "kid antics".  I just wanted to have the "saving grace" of my sweet hubby when he walks through the door to give me a tiny 5 minute break.  That was not meant to be.  

Instead, I had to head over to the local park for a church party without said hubby (until later that is).  I was completely drained - if you are a mamma you know EXACTLY what I am talking about!  I sat there "venting" to my dear friend about the things that I was exhausted with when the bishop's wife came to me and asked if I would pass out a couple of games for the "more mature" members of our church.  I REALLY didn't want to do this, but she was VERY persistent in her request.  So, I pulled up my figurative "boot straps", plastered a smile on my face and set out to do the job.

I went from one person to another with a "fake" smile on my face and then after awhile of helping the "mature members" laugh and put a smile on their face, I started to feel better about the day.  There wasn't a single person that I talked to, and convince to take a game, that didn't laugh or smile in some small way.  I could see their burden become a bit lighter because I was willing to give them a tiny bright spot to look at even for just one minute.  My smile started to become genuine and I really did feel lighter.  I felt like I could handle things for the rest of the night.  I was even able to have a greater love for both my kids and my hubby after all was said and done.

Lesson:  Even if you don't feel like doing something, or if you feel you can't do something, do it anyway.  You never know who's life needs to be touched by your smile.  You will also start to notice that you are "faking" it less and "making" it more.

No comments:

Post a Comment