Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Troubles...We All Got Them!!


The other day I was reading in my social media feed and there was an article that popped up that caught my attention.  It was from a person who was looking to move to my hometown from out-of-state and was wondering about the area and what it has to offer the world.  There was the normal "joking negativity" in which people were purposely trying to make the town look bad because they want to keep the community "quaint" and small.  Then there was those who were just downright negative and mean about the community.  And last of all there were those who told it like it is - it's a small town with small town values, we aren't without our faults, but it's a great place to live.

What caught my attention most of all was a post from my friend who said this (because I can't quote perfectly, I'll summarize)


"I'm sorry for all of you who hate our little community.  I, for one, feel this is a great place to live and raise kids.  I have had a great experience here and love this town.  It doesn't matter where you are, you are going to have problems wherever you decide to go…"


Another friend responded:


"You will find good and bad everywhere you go. Is there a lot to do here.......no. Is there traffic......no. It is a small town, so yes. It can be boring, but it's also quiet and peaceful. Some people like getting away from noise and the hustle and bustle of big city life. Small towns aren't for everyone, but if you like having a close knit community then (this town) has that. I am sure it could be a culture shock coming from a bigger city. For those of you who don't like it here I am sorry. The good news is you can always move."


This is sooo true!!  No matter where you decide to "put down roots" you're going to run into troubles!  I guarantee it!  Unless you decide to live in a bubble at the top of the highest mountain peak, you WILL have troubles!  But then again, living in a bubble may have its troubles as well….

Image result for solla sollew clipartOne of my absolute, most favorite of all time Dr. Seuss books is "I had Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew".  In this book a young man is confronted with many troubles.  They come at him from above, below, in front and from behind.  It didn't matter where he went, these troubles seemed to get worse the farther he went.  Then one day he ran into a person who told him he needed to go to the "city of Solla Sollew, on the banks of the beautiful river Wa-Hoo, where they never have troubles!  At least very few!…."  So off this young man went to get away from all the troubles he is facing.  He is so excited to be in a world without troubles!  However, along the way to this amazing city without troubles, he is faced with trouble after trouble.  When he finally reaches the beautiful city of Solla Sollew, he discovers there IS indeed troubles, well just one really.  There is only one door into the city and the keyhole is inhabited by a Key-Slapping Slippard making it impossible to unlock the gates to the troubleless city.
Image result for solla sollew key slapping slippard clipart 
At this point the young man has a decision to make.  He can go on ANOTHER journey to the "city of Boola Boo Ball, on the banks of the beautiful River Woo-Wall, where they never have troubles!  No troubles at all!" ----or he can return home.   He decides to return home holding a big bat and declares "now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!"

I love this story for the simple fact it reminds us that no matter where we go in life troubles are going to happen.  Whether you are in school facing a bully, work outside the home with difficult co-workers or boss, go to church, shop at the grocery store, move to a new home, etc….it doesn't matter!  You WILL eventually have troubles!  What matters most is how you HANDLE those troubles!  Are you going to run away (which, by the way, NEVER works, cuz the troubles will still be there when you get back)?  Or are you going to face your troubles head on with a big stick?

How many times in your life have you faced a "trouble" and let it get to you?  I would say that my troubles have troubled me more times than I would like to admit!  Now that I'm older, I have started giving my troubles some trouble.  I have learned that to get through life I have to stand up for what I believe in and to stand against those things that aren't right.  It takes courage to do this, but if you don't want to have troubles, you need to grow a backbone, deal with the trouble and move on with your life.  I promise when you do this, you will be a better, stronger person for doing so.
Image result for solla sollew clipart 
Go ahead!  I DARE you to start giving your troubles some troubles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment